- 1 Is Sulphuric acid called oil of vitriol?
- 2 Which acid is known as oil of vitriol?
- 3 What is meant by oil of vitriol?
- 4 What is vitriol mean?
- 5 Why Sulphuric acid is called King of chemicals?
- 6 Which acid is known as green vitriol?
- 7 Why H2SO4 is oily and viscous?
- 8 What is Sulphuric acid used for?
- 9 Is HNO3 a base or acid?
- 10 What is the formula of oil of vitriol?
- 11 What is vitriol used for?
- 12 What is the chemical name of Sulphuric acid?
- 13 How do you use vitriol?
- 14 What is vitriolic hatred?
Is Sulphuric acid called oil of vitriol?
Sulfuric acid, sulfuric also spelled sulphuric (H2SO4), also called oil of vitriol, or hydrogen sulfate, dense, colourless, oily, corrosive liquid; one of the most commercially important of all chemicals.
Which acid is known as oil of vitriol?
The chemical formula for sulfuric acid is H2SO4. Sulfuric acid was once known as the oil of vitriol.
What is meant by oil of vitriol?
1. oil of vitriol – (H2SO4) a highly corrosive acid made from sulfur dioxide; widely used in the chemical industry. sulfuric acid, sulphuric acid, vitriol. acid – any of various water-soluble compounds having a sour taste and capable of turning litmus red and reacting with a base to form a salt.
What is vitriol mean?
1: bitterly harsh or caustic language or criticism political commentators spewing angry vitriol Rumor has always played a role in politics, but rarely have the backstage operatives been so adroit, and so cynical, in their use of vitriol.—
Why Sulphuric acid is called King of chemicals?
Sulphuric acid (H2SO4) is called the “ King of Chemicals ” because it is used in the preparation of a very large number of other useful chemicals such as hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, dyes, drugs etc. Sulfuric acid has the properties of strong acidic nature and is corrosive.
Which acid is known as green vitriol?
Blue, or roman, vitriol is cupric sulfate; green vitriol—also called copperas, a name formerly applied to all the vitriols—is ferrous sulfate. White vitriol is zinc sulfate; red, or rose, vitriol is cobalt sulfate; and uranvitriol is a native uranium sulfate. Oil of vitriol is concentrated sulfuric acid (q.v.).
Why H2SO4 is oily and viscous?
Sulfuric acid (H 2SO 4) is capable of forming hydrogen bonds, both with water and other H 2SO 4 molecules. These bonds between molecules decrease overall molecular movement, thereby increasing the viscosity of the solution.
What is Sulphuric acid used for?
The major use of sulfuric acid is in the production of fertilizers, e.g., superphosphate of lime and ammonium sulfate. It is widely used in the manufacture of chemicals, e.g., in making hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, sulfate salts, synthetic detergents, dyes and pigments, explosives, and drugs.
Is HNO3 a base or acid?
|Strong Acids||Strong Bases|
|HCl (hydrochloric acid ) HNO3 ( nitric acid ) HClO4 (perchloric acid ) H2SO4 (sulfuric acid )||NaOH (sodium hydroxide) KOH (potassium hydroxide) Ca(OH)2 (calcium hydroxide)|
What is the formula of oil of vitriol?
What is vitriol used for?
Vitriol has been used poetically to refer to harsh speech since the 1700s. In April, 2010, President Obama referred to some politically-themed talk shows as vitriol. But it wasn’t the only time that the caustic word has been used to describe political discourse.
What is the chemical name of Sulphuric acid?
How do you use vitriol?
Vitriol in a Sentence During the town-meeting, angry citizens met the mayor spewing vitriol. Every time she gets upset, the mean-spirited woman lets vitriol flow from her mouth. The employee was asked to refrain from posting vitriol or critical talk about his workplace on social media.
What is vitriolic hatred?
/ˈvɪt.ri.əl/ violent hate and anger expressed through severe criticism: He is a writer who has often been criticized by the press but never before with such vitriol. Synonyms. bile. 5 дней назад